tom_holland

The actor will appear in both Sony’s 2017 stand-alone films as well as ‘Marvel Studios’ Captain America: Civil War,’ which will preceed it.

According to TheHollywoodReporter.com, Sony has found its newest web-slinger.

Tom Holland will star as the Marvel superhero, a character that has been played in recent years by Tobey Maguire in the Sam Raimi-helmed Spider-Man trilogy and Andrew Garfield in a pair of Marc Webb-directed Amazing Spider-Man films.

Jon Watts is set to direct Spider-Man; he earlier directed the coming-of-age thriller Cop Car, which premiered at Sundance this year.

With Holland in the lead, the franchise is now ready for rebooting for a new series of Sony films, the first of which will arrive in theaters July 28, 2017 — but not before the character first appears in Marvel Studios’ Captain America: Civil War. 

The decision comes after stealth test-screening in Atlanta May 30 which saw Holland, who appeared as one of Naomi Watts’ sons in the acclaimed tsunami drama The Impossible, and Asa Butterfield, the child star from Hugo and Ender’s Game, test along with Judah Lewis (a relative newbie who will be seen in the Jean Marc-Vallee‘s fall drama Demolition), Matthew Lintz (who will be seen with Adam Sandler in this summer’s Pixels), Charlie Plummer (who had a recurring gig on Boardwalk Empire), and Charlie Rowe (a British actor who appeared on Fox’s short-lived Red Band Society).

Those tests — with Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige, former head and now a Spider producer Amy Pascal, and Civil War directors Joe and Anthony Russo present — were the culmination of a worldwide search in which the producers looked at over 1,500 boys from around the globe.

Sources say the decision came down to Holland and Rowe, with the producers favoring the older actors, and the duo was asked to re-test. Holland turned 19 years old in June. Still, the studios were very meticulous in their decision-making.

Marvel and Sony made it point to recast Peter Parker/aka Spider-Man as a teenager as the new series will be set entirely in high school.

Given that the performance of last year’s Amazing Spider-Man 2 — just north of was off $700 million worldwide — was off by Spider-Man standards (Raimi’s Spider-Man 3 earned $891 million worldwide), Sony is looking to reinvigorate the franchise.

Watts, meanwhile, beat out contenders such as  Jonathan Levine, the team of John Francis Daley andJonathan M. Goldstein. Sources said it was Feige that made the ultimate call regarding the new director.

“As with James Gunn, Joss Whedon, and the Russo brothers, we love finding new and exciting voices to bring these characters to life,” said Feige in a statement. “We spent a lot of time with Jon and find his take and work inspiring.”

Tom Rothman, Sony Pictures Motion Pictures Group chairman, said in a statement: “It’s a big day here at Sony. Kevin, Amy and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that’s why their results are so outstanding. I’m confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I’ve worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent. For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom’s screen tests were special.”

Article Credit: Borys Kit, Tatiana Siegel

Comments

comments