SiBEAM, a pioneer and leader in millimeter wave technologies for wireless communications, today announced SiBEAM Snap wireless connector technology that will not only transform how consumers connect their devices, but will enable thinner and more robust mobile devices.
Consumers today use their mobile devices everywhere and expect those devices to have stunning designs and protected from everyday mishaps such as spilled coffee in the office or water damage on the ski slope. While wireless technologies such as LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, WirelessHD, and wireless charging have provided consumers the freedom to use their mobile device anywhere, physical connectors continue to limit device robustness and industrial design.
Revolutionary SiBEAM Snap technology has been architected to replace physical connectors on a wide variety of devices including smartphones, tablets, 2-in-1 laptops, action cameras, wireless docks, and point-of-sales (POS) kiosks. By replacing physical connectors with SiBEAM Snap wireless connectors, device manufacturers are liberated to design more elegant devices for consumers that are completely wireless, thinner, lighter and better protected from damage caused by water, mud, and dust.
SiBEAM Snap technology is an ideal enhancement to wireless power or wireless charging that is rapidly becoming an essential feature in smartphones and tablets. When combined with wireless charging, SiBEAM Snap technology can completely replace the USB, HDMI, or DisplayPort connectors for data and video transfers and power charge, allowing for a truly connector-free mobile device.
SiBEAM is announcing its first two Snap single-chip integrated circuit (IC) solutions – the SB6212 Snap transmitter and SB6213 Snap receiver – designed to replace any USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connector and deliver up to 12Gb/s of bi-directional throughput wirelessly, providing the bandwidth for high-speed video and data transfer.
“As a leader in wireless power, IDT delivers ultra-compact semiconductors that enable our customers to develop sleek consumer devices with ever-shrinking form factors,” said Majid Kafi, senior marketing director of IDT’s Analog and Power Division. “SiBEAM shares our vision of a wireless world, and we look forward to collaborate on innovations like its Snap technology to expand the wireless ecosystem.”
“Snap technology demonstrates SiBEAM’s commitment to innovate in the connectivity space, revolutionizing the mobile landscape with a true wireless connector solution,” said David Kuo, senior director of marketing at SiBEAM, Inc. “Snap technology leverages our proven millimeter wave technology expertise that frees designers from all mechanical constraints of connectors, allowing for a new class of thinner, more functional, and elegant mobile devices.”
Key Features and Benefits of SiBEAM Snap Technology:
- Secure, bi-directional ultra-high bandwidth wireless link
- Up to 12Gb/s for high-speed data transfers and 4K Ultra HD video streaming
- Replaces physical data and video connectors, including all variations of USB 2.0, USB 3.0, HDMI, and DisplayPort connectors
- Concurrent low-speed data tunneling for communication and control
- Software-driver free
- Elegant industrial design – enables a truly wireless device with uncompromised designs
- Multi-gigabit speed – aligns with current and next-generation connector speeds
- Freedom – allows for more durable, rugged and life proof devices that can go anywhere
- Eliminates signal integrity and EMI design complexities that comes with ultra-high bandwidth physical connectors
Key Features of the SB6212 and the SB6213:
- Single-chip solution supports USB 2.0, USB 3.0, and I2C interfaces
- Can replace USB Type A, Type B, Type C, and Micro USB connectors